The water temperature in Lake George is approximately 74 degrees.
Whether you’re an experienced boater or taking a rental boat out for the first time, please take a few minutes to watch the above video for a primer on the laws of the lake.
Just like the roadways, there are rules to follow when boating on Lake George.
Taking the helm of a boat while under the influence of alcohol or drugs is just as dangerous as getting behind the wheel of a car while under the influence.
Interested in renting a boat? Click here for a listing of marinas and places to rent boats.
Lake George is home to a Freedom Boat Club franchise! You can join this club and use your membership in other locations.
Just looking to take a ride on a boat? Click here for a listing of everything from steamship to private cruises.
Canoeing and Kayaking
If you’re bringing your own canoe or kayak to the region, there are many places you can launch. Please note that some of these do have a fee.
Here are the access sites:
- Lake Avenue, Lake George, NY 12845
- State Launch on Northwest Bay, Route 9N (Lake Shore Drive) about 5 miles north of Bolton Landing
- Dunham’s Bay Brook, Route 9L
- Hearthstone Point Campground, 3298 Lake Shore Dr, Lake George, NY 12845
- Hague Town Beach Park, 9060 Lake Shore Drive Hague, NY 12836
- Roger’s Rock State Campground, 9894 Lake Shore Drive, Hague, NY 12836
- 290 Glen Lake Road, Queensbury, NY 12845
- Campground at Fourth Lake, 892 Lake Ave, Lake Luzerne, NY 12846
- Boat Launch Drive, Lake Luzerne-Hadley, NY 12846
- North River, Route 28
- Riparius Bridge, Route 8
- Glen Bridge, Route 28
- Warren County Fish Hatchery, Echo Lake Road
- Thurman Station Bridge, Route 148
- Hudson River Recreation Area
- 3/4 mile north of Lake Luzerne on River Road
- Starbuckville Dam, County Road No. 53
- South Horicon Bridge, Counrt Route 30
- Below Middletown Bridge, East Schroon River Road
- County Home Bridge, East Schroon River Road
- River Street in Warrensburg, south side of river
To boat on Lake George you’ll need to register.
You may also register your boat at the Lake George Regional Chamber of Commerce office, which is open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday Through Friday.
On the weekends, you can register your boat at:
- Beach Road Bait & Tackle 2239 Route 9; (518) 668-4040
- Dockside Landing Marine Center 47 Canada St.; (518) 668-4300
Prices are as follows:
In an effort to stop the spread of invasive species into Lake George, all trailered vessels are required to be inspected prior to launching in Lake George. This includes motorboats, personal watercraft, jet skies and sailboats. Canoes, kayaks, and other cartop watercraft are not subject to inspections. There is no fee for inspection or decontamination if necessary. Inspections are done on a first-come first-served basis and take between five and ten minutes to complete, depending on the size and condition of the boat.
Check back soon for updated hours for the following inspection stations:
- Lake George Inspection Station; Transfer Road Lake George, NY 12845 Closed
- Million Dollar Beach Launch; 139 Beach Road, Lake George, NY 12845 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Dunham’s Bay Dock & Launch; 2036 Bay Road Queensbury, NY 12845 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Hulett’s Landing Marina Inspection; 6068 Lakeside Way Huletts Landing, NY 12841 Call for hours
- Mossy Point Public Boat Launch; 158 Black Point Road Ticonderoga, NY 12883 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Roger’s Rock Public Campground & Boat Launch; 9894 Lakeshore Drive Hague, NY 12836 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Norowal Marina; 21 Sagamore Road Bolton Landing, NY 12814 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Looking for a map that provides details on water depths, channels, obstructions, and navigation aids in Lake George? Click the image below.